Belize was a British colony for more than a century and was known as British Honduras until 1973. It became an independent nation in 1981. Belize is a small nation on the eastern coast of Central America on the Caribbean Sea bordered by Mexico to the northwest and Guatemala to the west and south. The country is a parliamentary democracy and constitutional monarchy which recognizes Queen Elizabeth II as Sovereign. The name is shared by the Belize River and Belize City, the former capital and largest city.
The following are the advantages of starting a Business in Belize:
– Belize is a small country and any new business will require less start-up capital than it would need anywhere else;
– Advertising campaigns can be targeted on specific groups or target areas;
– Full exemption from taxation on any business activity or transaction carried on outside Belize;
– Belizean Law is based on British Common Law;
– Speedy incorporation procedures and simple ongoing administration;
– Reasonable formation and maintenance costs and fees;
– Complete business privacy and confidentiality;
– IBCs may engage in any lawful business in any country and may carry on transactions in whatever currencies they choose;
– Registered or Bearer shares, at owner’s option;
– Directors and/or officers can be either corporate entities or natural persons;
– Shareholders and /or directors may hold their meetings in any country and they may attend such meetings by proxy;
– There are no exchange controls in Belize. Although the official currency is the Eastern Caribbean Dollar the United States Dollar is commonly used;
– Well-developed professional infrastructure;
– Neutral tax jurisdiction;
– The Government has established a new Programme allowing for multi-year work permits of up to four years duration and relaxed residency rules;
– Same day company incorporation service. Belize provides the fastest IBC incorporation in the world, due to the highly efficient computerized registration system, introduced by the Company Registry of Belize;
– There is no requirement for a regular Annual General Meeting. If necessary, meetings of the board of directors or shareholders may be held by telephone or other means of contact;
– Placing an order for the formation of a company;
Alternatively to register a brand-new company, you can also buy a ready-made company from the list available. A ready-made company normally has an open configuration (its directors are not yet appointed and the shares are not yet issued). Therefore the final configuration of a shelf company is made at a later stage.
In additions you are not obliged to prepare or file any financial accounts but it is recommended by practice to prepare or file them in your office.
Atrium will check the name availability of the company (whether there is no company under such name already). In Belize the law requires that all financial service providers know the identity of their client so the actual contact details must be indicated at the Registry Agent. This information remains confidential.